Victory Lutheran College is an educational institution established to advance Christian education in accordance with the Lutheran Confessions, including by operating a school in Victoria. Victory Lutheran College is separately incorporated as a company limited by guarantee with Lutheran Education VIC, NSW, Tas and ACT Ltd (LEVNT) as its sole member.
The College is also an affiliate of LEVNT Ltd. This relationship is set out in an Affiliation Agreement between LEVNT Ltd and the College. Under the Affiliation Agreement, LEVNT Ltd provides the College with funding, services and support. The College in turn agrees to four core areas of commitment, covering: the Lutheran faith commitment; use of Government and school funds; responsible governance and management; and use of LEVNT service and support.
The Role of the College Board - the Governance Role
The College’s Constitution details powers and functions of the Board and provides that the Board is responsible for the operations of the College which it may delegate to the Principal or to one or more sub-committees who report to the Board and who must comply with any direction given to them by the Board.
The Board are responsible for the College Governance which includes:
- appointing, reviewing and, in some cases, removing the Principal, and providing ongoing support and supervision
- governing the College
- determining and implementing the College’s key values, principles and ethos.
- setting strategic plans and major directions for the College
- determining the Board’s policies and practices
- ensuring compliance with legal obligations
- monitoring adherence to systems of and assessing risk management
- approving and monitoring the College budget
- approving expenditure outside of the budget
- reviewing the College’s performance
- undertaking self-assessment review of Board performance
- interfacing with the College community
- handling grievances concerning the Principal
- establishing whistle-blower policy and procedures.
In line with the Victorian Registration Standards, the College supports and promotes the principles and practice of Australian democracy.
Victory Lutheran College is committed to the principals of a liberal democracy:
- We believe in an accountable, democratically elected government.
- We respect and observe the rule of law, and believe that no person is above the law.
- We believe in equal rights for all before the law, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender or other attributes.
- We believe not only in the freedom of religion, but also the need to practice tolerance and understanding of others' beliefs.
- We believe in the values of openness and tolerance, and value and respect all members of the College community regardless of background.
- We believe in the value of freedom of speech and freedom of association, but also acknowledge that we have the responsibility not to abuse this freedom.