Walk My WayWalk your way to help children in East Africa to walk their way into education!
Did you know, the human foot contains 26 bones? Why not use all 26 of those bones to walk 26kms from Bonegilla to Victory Lutheran College and raise much needed funds to enable children in East Africa opportunities to go to school!
Victory Lutheran College and the Wodonga Lutheran Parish are teaming up to host the first Walk My Way event in our region.
Walk My Way is part of The GRACE Project, organised by ALWS (Australian Lutheran World Service), which since 2019 has helped more than 62,500 refugee children to go to school.
It is definitely a long way but by participating (or sponsoring a walker), each of us can create lasting change in the lives of vulnerable children, giving them a chance to dream and build a better future.
There are three walking distance and starting time options:
- 26kms – Departing from the Bonegilla Migrant Centre from 8.10am – 9.15am
- 10kms - join us at the corner of Havelock Street and Osburn Street Wodonga at 11.30am to commence your walk
- 5kms - find the checkpoint near the carpark in Les Stone Park (entry off Parkland Drive) Wodonga at 12.30pm and walk your way to Victory
We have mapped out a lovely walk along the High Country Rail Trail that leads into winds around many of the beautiful Wodonga parks around Wodonga including a circuit around Belvoir Lagoon. The trail is mostly on sealed footpaths and bike trails.
What does the day look like?
- Arrive at Bonegilla from 7:30am for to sign in.
- There will be a coffee van in case you need a last-minute burst of energy.
- The official welcome and walk briefing will commence at 8:00am and our first walkers will leave at 8:10am.
- There will be check-in points along the walk with opportunities to refill water bottles and enjoy an energy boosting snacks.
- On your arrival at Victory Lutheran College there will be an opportunity to celebrate your achievement. The VLC Parents and Friends will be cooking a tasty Sausage Sizzle. Before you head home, you will be able to vote on the Referendum in Luther Hall.
Timing on the Day
- 7:30am – Registration @ Bonegilla Migrant Centre
- 8:00am – Official Welcome and Walk Briefing
- 8:10am – Walkers released in 5 minute intervals
- 11.30am – Check in/Start time for the 10km walkers @ Corner of Havelock & Osborn Streets, Wodonga
- 12.30pm – Check/inStart time for the 5km walkers @ Les Stone Park, Wodonga
Walk My Way is a journey of hope, resilience, and solidarity. The event is a testament to the resilience and determination of refugee children to pursue an education despite facing countless challenges.