May I firstly thank everyone for their support and cooperation in ensuring the health and safety of all members of our community.
It has been an interesting challenge over the past couple of weeks as the COVID-19 pandemic has grown around the world and within Australia. We are working on a number of strategies to support our College community with possible implications of COVID-19 cases at Victory, closures of physical school site to classes and other directions from State and Federal government to manage this outbreak.
All COVID-19 updates from the College will continue to be emailed to parents/guardians directly.
We would value your ongoing support to prevent the spread of infection by:
- Hand hygiene: wash hands regularly with soap and warm water, scrubbing your wrists, palms, fingers and nails for 15–20 seconds. Rinse, and dry with a clean, dry towel, paper towel or hand dryer. If there is no visible dirt, you might prefer to use hand sanitizer. In general, try to keep your hands away from your face.
- Coughs and sneezes: cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze or cough into your elbow. Wash your hands after coughing into them.
- General hygiene: Stand or sit back from other people. Discuss what social distancing means and prevents. If students/parents have flu like symptoms (cough, sore throat, fever etc) stay away from school or work and seek medical advice or contact the COVID-19 National Hotline (1800 020 080). Do not return to school or work until after you have the results of any tests/swabs and you have clearance from your doctor / health provider.
Please note that we have cancelled/postponed a number of College events (including next week’s P&F AGM) for now and we will look at rescheduling some of these later in the year.
Wherever possible, we will continue to provide updates to our College community and endeavour to keep you informed as we work together for the health and safety of all our people.
Our Prime Minister, Mr Scott Morrison, announced that this year’s NAPLAN Testing for all Year 3, 5, 7 & 9 students has been cancelled after the Education Ministers met on Friday morning. This decision was made in recognition of the disruption caused to all schools by the COVID-19 pandemic and the additional work that our teachers are doing in preparation for the possibility that schools will need to move to remote learning in the future.
Principal’s Long Service Leave – Term 2 2020
As a College, we have been planning for my absence in Term 2 while on long service leave and arrangements to support this were communicated with our College community last week. With the developing COVID-19 pandemic and the possible implications for our College, I have been reconsidering my leave and as such, I have made the decision to postpone it for now. This will result in our current Term 1 Staffing continuing unchanged into Term 2.
Personally, I am disappointed but believe that it is the right decision in the current situation so that I can continue to lead and support our Victory Lutheran College students, parents/guardians and staff as we face next phase of responding to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Thanks for your ongoing support and understanding as we work together as a College community in this challenging and difficult situation.
We have completed the appointment process for a number of new staff in the last couple of weeks and we are pleased to welcome:
- Mrs Dana Brereton as our College Accountant who will commence next Monday. Dana has experience as an accountant, auditor and business owner and she will support of Business Manager and Bursar in their roles.
- Mrs Evelyn Florence as one of our Learning Enhancement Assistant working within the Secondary School. Evelyn comes to us with passion and dedication for the education support field and she commenced last week in her role.
- Mrs Kellie Garwood who is well-known to our College community commenced last week in her new role as one of our School Counsellors. Kellie completed her tertiary studies last year while working part-time at Victory.
- Mrs Katelyn Moon has accepted a contract extension after Mr Rick Oats has extended his leave as he has been offered a position for the rest of 2020 at Eden Marine High School. We are pleased to be able to offer continuity for our students with Katelyn continuing and teaching her classes in Semester 2.
Pastor Jaswanth’s Farewell
On Sunday, I attended Pastor Jaswanth’s last service at St John‘s Lutheran Church before he commences his new call at Mackay Lutheran Community Church in North Queensland. At the end of the service on behalf of our College community, I presented Pastor Jaswanth and Stella a gift to acknowledge his service to our College community over the past five years and wished them both God’s richest blessings.
Please feel free to email our Principal email, email@example.com, if have any questions to ask or feedback that you would like to share.
Once again, I am grateful for your support and understanding in this challenging time.
Yours in Christ
Mr John Thompson